Over 100 displaced in Kzoo apartment fire | News
KALAMAZOO, Mich. (AP) -- Authorities say rescuers carried people in wheelchairs out of a smoke-filled, seven-story apartment building during a fire that displaced about 125 people in southwestern Michigan.
MLive.com reports no one was seriously injured in the fire that started late Sunday at Northwind Hilltop Apartments in Kalamazoo. Authorities say seven residents were taken to area hospitals for treatment of minor smoke inhalation, and one firefighter had a cut hand.
The blaze destroyed apartments on the third and fourth floors.
The Kalamazoo Department of Public Safety says rescuers carried out at least 10-15 people. A number of area fire departments responded to the blaze, which was reported about 11:30 p.m.
The cause of the fire is under investigation Monday. Displaced residents were taken to an area church.
Upcoming Events near Kalamazoo
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- My Town Wyoming: Health and Wellness Day returns to Metro Health Village July 31
- Crime spree suspect charged in Wyoming stabbing
- My Town Wyoming: Gordmans ribbon cutting celebration July 25
- Stabbing victim relieved crime wave suspects in custody
- Craigslist killer may have had multiple personality disorder