Suspect arrested for numerous Kalamazoo burglaries | News
KALAMAZOO, Mich. - After a string of Kalamazoo gas station burglaries throughout the month of October, a suspect is finally in custody.
Last Monday, November 5th, at 11:47 pm, Kalamazoo Public Safety Officers were dispatched to the Family Dollar store at 1710 S. Westnedge on a burglary alarm. Upon arrival, officers found the business had been broken into, but the suspect had fled the scene.
A short time later, the suspect, Robert Lee Smith, age 45 of Kalamazoo, was apprehended by Public Safety Officers Marc Rifenberg, Greg Magnan, and Sgt. Anthony Morgan.
Upon being interviewed by detectives, Smith confessed to five additional business burglaries. The additional burglaries that Smith will be charged with include: The Cork Shell Station, The S. Westnedge Shell Station, the Park St. Market, Paul's Pantry and The Tobacco Store.
Anyone with information about these incidents is encouraged to contact Kalamazoo Public Safety at 337-8994, Silent Observer at 343-2100 or kalamazoosilentobserver.com.
Upcoming Events near Kalamazoo
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- My Town Cascade Township: Deputy shares tips for fraud protection during free workshop
- Local runners looking forward to Boston Marathon
- My Town: YMCA announces site for new facility
- My Town: New restaurant to open April 15
- Frederik Meijer Gardens & Sculpture Park announces biggest Outdoor Summer Concert Series ever
- My Town Kentwood: Student readers eager to join 100 Point Club
- My Town Kentwood: EmploymentGroup Launches next round of 5 in 5 Scholarships
- Wyoming Parks & Recreation Spring/Summer Services now available
- Free Tax Help Available
- My Town Kentwood: Mother-turned-author shares autistic daughter's experiences