Kzoo sub shop worker saved from choking | News
KALAMAZOO, Mich. (AP) -- Authorities say a public safety officer in southwestern Michigan saved a choking sandwich shop employee who tried to swallow six pieces of Italian meat in a dare with a co-worker.
Kalamazoo Public Safety says officers responded Wednesday night to a Jimmy John's and found the 22-year-old employee unresponsive on the floor with a blue face. The man's co-workers had tried the Heimlich maneuver without success, so Officer Keaton Nielsen stepped in and dislodged the obstruction.
The employee still was unresponsive, so the department says Nielsen administered breathing assistance for about a minute until the man was able to breathe on his own.
The department says the man was taken to an area hospital, where he was listed in stable condition.