City of Portage Winter Blast Half Marathon and 5K | Events
The 3rd Annual Portage Winter Blast Half Marathon and 5K will be held on Sunday, March 1, 2015. The event is organized in partnership by the Kalamazoo Area Runners and the City of Portage. We encourage you to join in the celebration by participating or volunteering, or just coming out to cheer on the runners and walkers.
While the course was designed to limit impact on vehicular traffic, several street closures and detours throughout the city will be in place on race morning. See attached map for a complete course map. The following streets will be closed or have limited access during the estimated times indicated below the morning of Sunday, March 1, 2015:
• Full closure (barricades) on South Westnedge Avenue between East Centre Avenue and Bacon Avenue (7:45 – 9:30am)
• Full closure (barricades) on East Centre Ave. between South Westnedge Avenue and Currier Drive (8am – 12pm)
• Full closure on Currier Drive between East Centre and Brown Avenue (8:30am – 12pm)
• Full closure (barricades) on West Melody Avenue at South Westnedge Avenue intersection (8 – 9:30am)
• Local traffic only on West Melody Avenue between Shaver Road and South Westnedge Avenue (8 – 9:30am)
• Full closure (barricades) on Garden Lane between railroad tracks and Kingston Drive Local traffic permitted on Garden Lane between Lovers Lane and Kingston Drive (8:15am – 12pm)
• South bound curb lane will be closed completely to vehicular traffic on Lovers Lane between Kilgore Rd. and Garden Lane (8am – 12pm)
• Traffic control by Police at the intersections of Lovers Lane / Romence Road Parkway, Lovers Lane / East Milham Avenue (8:30 – 11am)
• Traffic control by Police at the intersection of Shaver Road / Melody Avenue (8 – 9:30am)
• Local roads along the route will have limited access (7:45 – 9:30am): Larkspur, Marigold, Melody, Barberry, Crocket, Parkland, South Shore, West End, Lakeview, Eastern, Quarterline, Organdy, Gingham, Velvet, Calico, Corduroy, Gabardine, Chambray, Cherryview and Oakview.
Drivers are asked to be prepared for detours and traffic delays by planning for additional travel time during this period and taking alternative routes. Please drive with caution, watch for police, volunteers, runners, spectators and traffic control devices.
Questions regarding traffic or road closure matters can be directed to the city Traffic Engineer at 324-9221. Visit www.portagewinterblast.wordpress.com for more information.